Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Hookey

Yesterday, for the first time since high school, I played hookey with Big C. And it was better than I remembered.

There's something magical that happens when you throw responsibility out the window, put on your "I-don't-give-a-shit" hat and do whatever you want. It's not like I can't do that on the weekends -- it's just far more delicious when you know the rest of the world is working.

It was impromptu, really, as is the case with most "hookey" days. I woke up looking forward to a day of hanging out with my man M all day. My car was in the shop so I couldn't get to work. I come out to the living room to find Big C on the couch, curled up with an adverse reaction to the last night's fideo. So I made the shameful call to the office, clearing my throat to sound like I'd been awake for hours, drank my coffee and we watched "Good Will Hunting" on TBS.

When the movie was over, it seemed like a good idea to watch another one. So we put in "Garden State" and watched that for the 87th time. When that was over, we hit the mall.

That's where it hit me that we were reliving a moment from like, 8 years ago, when we strolled into the music store and listened to CDs on their dodgy, worn headphones and motioned to one another to "come here and listen to this!" Hearing a new song on the high-quality only a CD can give you made me sad and happy at the same time. I feel like those old people who say that nothing beats vinyl...

To keep the spirit of hookey alive, I suggested we go to the pool and drink beer, despite the dark clouds that were forming as we drove home.

The clouds won.

But we didn't give in so easily. As the storms rolled in, we sat on the balcony in our bathing suits, drank beer and laughed at all the stupid people we saw at the mall.

My magical day of hookey was complete.

3 Comments:

Blogger deconstructionist said...

Dude, what are you waiting for? Do it...

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i played hookey yesterday and today, and that's why i'm not going to say who this is, but you'll know who i am because my name is gwen, and i'm here to wash your vagina ... and make a gift.

9:46 AM  
Blogger deconstructionist said...

Anon: It's "waaaaaaaaaarsh" your vagina!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home