Sunday, September 23, 2007

The exercise

Note to self: Download the song, Teenagers, by My Chemical Romance. Maybe that new Linkin Park song, too. Did I just say that?

------------------------------------------------------------------

As I am trying to build my portfolio in the event that my cousin's agency calls back for an interview, I picked up an old textbook Matt tried to get me to read about four years ago. It's called "Creative Strategies in Advertising." I'd finished the first chapter back then, which inspired a very awkward fake campaign for pencils in which I used Matt's sister as my model. That was #5 in the "Suggested Activities" section.

Today I did #3, which is an inventory of my "creative resources." Here goes.

Favorite films
- The first one that comes to mind is Annie Hall. I've only seen it once, but it's Woody Allen's most famous movie and I love, love, love the dialogue he writes for his characters -- in his world, EVERYONE stutters -- and I also appreciate his almost deviant attitude toward love and adult male-female relationships. La-di-da.
- I also love Cabaret. The music's dope and Liza is fierce.
- Born Into Brothels inspires me.
- Zoolander makes me laugh.
- So does Grandma's Boy.
- The Royal Tenenbaums is cool. It's offbeat, not necessarily about romantic love -- it's more about a fucked up family I wish I knew. And every scene is perfect with its comically dramatic frames and colors.

Favorite entertainers
Sarah Silverman. She's not afraid to be weird and has a smart-ass mouth.

Favorite music
- Spanish rock
- Cuban music. Think Ibrahim Ferrer and Buena Vista Social Club.
- Emo rock. Don't judge me, monkey!
- Pretty much anything that's got a fly beat, intense lyrics and a sensitive/introspective/depressy feel to it.

Books
Ugh. I hate reading books. I just can't commit. But I do like the stuff in my Norton Anthology books from college, Ayn Rand (currently reading The Fountainhead) and William Carlos Williams poems.

TV shows, plays, operas and musicals
- Absolutely Fabulous. I like watching drunk, misanthropic British women ruin themselves and their families with their hilarious selfishness and self-absorption. It's a much smarter show than it lets on.
- I love Planet Earth.
- Sex and the City will always be in my heart.
- The L Word has replaced SATC. Sort of.
- I hate Cats; I like Les Miserables; Phantom's pretty good...so is The Marriage of Figaro. Jesus Christ Superstar is awesome. I love La Traviata and Othello. Don Giovanni's alright. A Streetcar Named Desire rocks my tits off. I just got back from seeing Coppelia in Fort Worth and even though it's not a TV show, play, opera or musical, this ballet kicks ass for a few reasons...chiefly because I watched it with my grandpa at least once a month when I was a kid and finally seeing it in person today moved me to tears. Aside from my personal connection to Coppelia, it's actually a truly impressive show and everyone should see it.

This concludes the exercise. #3 DONE! I'm ready for the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home