Sunday, October 15, 2006

Breakfast of Chumps

Thank GOD it's the weekend.

Turns out I survived this bloody turd of a week and since about noon yesterday I have switched the light in my brain and body from violent green to red...not even red, more of a lazy, subdued hint of red behind a sheet of smoky white gradient.

I was relieved to know the breakfast I spent all of Thursday evening and some of Friday morning cooking for my work mates was a smash hit. The surprise star of the breakfast was the tomato and serrano pepper salsa, made from my mom's own recipe. I spent all of Friday (morning, afternoon and evening) and Saturday morning desperately trying to finish a freelance project that in the end is the culprit for my zombie-like haze now. But it was worth every minute.

Doing these projects, although stressful and tiresome, makes me realize that I am doing what I've always wanted: writing for a living. Under the pressure of a glaring deadline, mixed with the forced momentum in spite of exhaustion, I forget that there was a day when I would have killed for the opportunities I have been lucky enough to have today. Sure, the lull of corporate office work makes me want to kill myself sometimes, but it pays the bills and it's not without its tiny rewards in the form of insurance, paid time off and the occasional favorable review and pay raise. And if you're very, very lucky, all these things might even create the illusion of professional fulfillment. But only if you're lucky...or a chump.

That's not enough for me. I need supplemental "work" to feel validated, relevant, active. It's refreshing to clear the cobwebs in my head formed by the hum-drum office atmosphere and be able to use my brain, challenge myself to produce top-notch work under pressure and ultimately see the fruits of my toil in the form of a Web site or 12-page brochure.

As long as there's still a weekend to recharge my batteries and play video games...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home