Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Goodbye Natalie, Hello Hotlips!

As a sort of early mid-year review, I've conjured this list to highlight some observations I've made about this crazy college grad in the twilight of her post-college era and the dawn of a new one: adulthood.

Things I did last year that I don't do anymore:
1. Have friends over at any time of the day: In our little college town, it was not uncommon for fans (I mean, friends) to pop by and watch "A Wedding Story" or "Elimidate" with me in between classes. It was also not uncommon for them to come back at 10:30 p.m. and crash out on the couch.
2. Drink every day: It's not as bad as it sounds, but I'm glad I can now find other ways to spend an evening.
3. Spend countless hours on the couch, clicking the clicker: Again, not as bad as it sounds, but...yeah.
4. Agonize over the thought of calling a prospective employer to "follow up": Well, maybe the thought still makes me breathe heavily and seek the rosary, but I accept the "follow up" call as a fact of life. Plus, now that I've had a piece of the proverbial capitalist pie, I want some more.
5. Drink Lone Star: It tastes like bananas and gives you the worst headache the next day.
6. Fear going anywhere alone: I realize now that I can't live that way. Sometimes, a sister just needs her milk and calling a friend to come along is just plain inconvenient.

Things that I do now that I didn't do last year:
1. Scrub the bathtub.
2. Send "thank you" cards.
3. Rejoice in the delicious joys of tax returns.
4. Get invited to weddings.
5. Use eye cream.
6. Exercise.
7. Experience the major difference between the week and the weekend.
8. Send e-mails to my friends' work addresses.
9. When in social situations, not limit my conversation to only sex, beer and finals.
10. Talk about vacations (not taking place during Spring Break).

Things I did last year that I still do now:
1. Drink two cups of coffee as part of my morning routine.
2. Watch reality TV and "All My Children."
3. Shop with
Boyanachronism.
4. Visit my parents whenever I can.
5. Look for the perfect job.
6. Have delusions of grandeur.
7. Tell dirty jokes to anyone who's listening.

2 Comments:

Blogger mando said...

but we don't shop as nearly as much as we used to. and you still watch a lot of tv. ha!

9:02 PM  
Blogger deconstructionist said...

LtFlux: Yeah, I hope you don't mind I'm "linked" to you. Forever...

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home